While I’m not an advocate of Valentine’s Day because of it’s undetermined beginnings and the way it has blown up intoÂ anÂ “I’m loved or I’m going to cry myself to sleep *they have made movies about this I’m not making it up”Â holiday for most people in the world, I still choose to think amicably about this particular “holiday.” According to History.com, in Great Britain, Valentine’s Day began as aÂ common way for friends and lovers in all social classes to exchange small tokens of affection or handwritten notes. The idea that there is a day dedicated to being thankful for your friends and people you love is really awesome in my opinion, although I’m more of an “all-year around” kind of girl. I don’t think it takes one day to make someone feel special, but I do think that small gestures can go a long way no matter what day of the year it is.
So, this year I challenge all of you out there to do something special for someone in your life NOT on Valentine’s Day. Whoa. What about February 13? I’ve heard it’s supposed to be a fabulous day to make someone feel loved or appreciated. I’m sure you’ll also have an easier time getting dinner reservations if that’s what you’d like to do.
If you’re not sure what to do or what to get a particular person in your life, just do something from the heart! You can never go wrong with that :).
I’ve compiled a little collage of fun things that any girl would enjoy wearing out for a special evening or receiving if they were so lucky. What is your opinion of Valentine’s Day? Are you up to my challenge? :)
- Topshop Tangerine twist dress by Boutique, $110
- Miu Miu crocodile-stamped patent leather wallet, $385
- Topshop blush suede bow gloves, $36
- Love, Chloe eau de parfum, $85
- Alexander Wang modal spandex rusched skirt, $110
- Proenza Schouler PS1 medium suede satchel, $1595
- Kenneth Jay Lane 22 karat gold coral-inspired cuff, $215
- Yves Saint Laurent arty enamel ring, $195
- Jonathan Adler darjeelingÂ cookie jar, $150