Lately I’ve had an unprecedented number of wedding events to attend. My sister just got married last weekend and my best friend is getting married in a few weeks, so I’ve had plenty of showers and rehearsal dinners to attend. Weddings can be tricky occasions to dress for and no two weddings are the same. A lot of people struggle with what to wear to weddings so I thought I would do a series of posts of my favorite wedding outfits right now.
As a rule of thumb…
1. NEVER WEAR WHITE. Or cream. It’s impolite to the bride and it’s just one of those things that you don’t do.
2. Find out what the attire is. Some weddings are more formal and some are more casual… typically a long dress is not necessary unless the wedding is very formal.
3. Don’t wear something outrageous. Remember it’s not your night, it’s the bride’s! You can be glamorous without stealing her thunder.
4. Find a happy medium between comfortable and stylish. Find shoes that are cute but that you could also dance in (if you like to dance). You don’t want to be so miserable that you can’t enjoy the reception!
5. Mix statement with understated. If you’re going with a bolder looking dress, pair it with more subtle accessories. If you’re going with a solid colored dress that is more plain, find some fun jewelry or a colorful clutch or shoes to play up your outfit.
For the first outfit I was inspired by Eva Longoria at the 2008 Grammy Awards in Marchesa. Her dress is definitely pushing white, so I wouldn’t recommend this particular color for a wedding, however a lighter shade of grey is perfect for a winter wedding. I’m in love with this silk Rebecca Taylor dress – the full skirt paired with the embellished top give it a polished but fun look. It’s a very girly dress so I chose YSL pumps that are little more edgy to balance the outfit. These pumps are AMAZING and they’re currently on sale at Nordstrom. The Topshop cuff pairs perfectly with the beading on the dress and is just enough jewelry but won’t take away from the rest of the outfit. Since our outfit is already pretty matchy-matchy, grab this black beaded clutch to finish the look. Stay tuned for more looks!
- Rebecca Taylor strapless silk bustier dress, $495
- Topshop wire and bead cuff, $28
- Yves Saint Laurent Palais suede platform pumps, $524.90 (on sale)
- Moyna beaded folded over clutch, $90